Sunday, January 5, 2014

Fantasy Lover, Sherrilyn Kenyon

This is another paranormal romance series. I started it before Christmas - before things got all wonky.

A lot of times when I start these, I've gotten interested by a book later in the series. I see that one, think it looks interesting, and being a little OCD, go find the first of the series and start reading.

This is one of those.

Honestly, if I'd read the back of this one first, I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought.

I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about it.

So this is a prequel or companion novel to the Dark Hunter series. In it we meet Julian and Grace. Julian is a Greek Demi-god, son of Aphrodite, cursed by his 1/2 brother to be trapped in a book. Whenever someone says his name 3 times (Beetlejuice anyone?), he comes out of the book and must serve the person who called him for a month as a sex slave.

Grace is a straight laced teacher with a still mending heart.

Let's just set aside the whole "sex slave" as entertainment (ours not Grace's) for a second. I'll just say sex trafficking and slavery is very much an ongoing issue and shouldn't be trivialized.

Moving on...

Setting that aside, it was just ok.

Julian's story is heart rending, so that gives it a little help. Just gave it a little more dimension. Grace is strong and smart. If you like romance, I think you'll like this one. For me, I'm just not sure. I enjoyed it, and I'm going to keep on in the series mainly because I don't know where this series will go from here - Dark Hunters weren't even mentioned, so I don't even know what they are. So my curiosity will keep me going, but I think my initial reaction would have been accurate: Not a second thought.

Fantasy Lover, Sherrilyn Kenyon

No comments:

Post a Comment