Thursday, October 3, 2013

Undone, Karin Slaughter

So, this is the first crossover with Grant County. It's 3 years since the events in Beyond Reach.

A woman is hit by a car. She's been raped and tortured. Blinded. She walks out into the road, and...

...ends up in the ER with Sara.

That's where we begin.

Will and Faith are working well together, though there's still some...kinks to work out.

Where in Triptych, I felt that Will and Angie were just 2 damaged people who loved each other, but didn't know how to have a relationship, in this one...

I feel like Angie stopped being a victim and started being an abuser.

Stay with me, here.

We weren't in her head, like we were in Triptych, I admit that could be part of the switch, but I think it's more than that. In this book, Angie was cruel. She hurt Will on purpose. She wanted him to know that he wasn't worthy of anyone but her. He tries to stand up for himself. He tries to make a break, and she makes it clear that he's stuck with her. That he's not good enough to be with anyone else.

She calls him stupid.

She's...alluded to that before. Mocked him for his disability, thought subtly, but this was something different. This was "I can control you, and don't you forget it."

Like I said, she switched roles for me in this one.


Part of that change in perception might be - probably is - the indication that perhaps Will and Sara may have a mutual attraction.

We'll see.

Also, looks like I'm not the only one who blames Lena for Jeffery's death. Sara carries a letter from "the woman who killed" her husband. I was pretty sure it was from Lena, but I did consider it was the wife of the Sheriff (and neo-nazi) who was killed in Beyond Reach.

At the end, it's confirmed, though we don't know what the letter says. I'm not sure if I want to know. Part of me does. Part of me is still sick of Lena and all her bullshit.

The case isn't too bad. These women are taken - pairs of them. They're held in an underground...cavern? Pit? Will finds it pit (that word makes it sound as horrible as it actually is) and takes over the case. And thank god. Normally, I'm not a fan of the state/local/federal competition paradigm. I just feel like in most cases (IRL) they work together because it's not about them. It's about the victim. So, I feel like it's an overused trope, though I'm used to it.

Here, though, it works. Mainly because the locals are assholes. They fuck up the whole thing from the get go and then fuck Will and the team around to try to cover their asses! And of course, because Will and Faith don't have all the info, it takes them longer to find the baddie.

So, the one gets hit by a car and makes it, her fellow prisoner dies. Then, while they're investigating, 2 more women are taken.

Turns out the women all know each other from an anorexia website. Not the good kind where they try to stay healthy, but the bad kind where they encourage unhealthy weight loss and starvation. The baddie is related to one of the women and he. is. NUTS! His mom doesn't help matters.

Since this seems to be my new MO, here's the National Eating Disorder Association link. Check it out. There's help out there. There's a better way to live.

I also liked that the women were all terrible bitches. I like that they're hard to sympathize with. It's different for victims. Not that I didn't feel bad for them as far as their ordeal. It was seriously fucked up.

Their still terrible people.

So, I'm hoping for a Will/Sara story, though it was really hard to read some of Sara parts. She's still rebuilding her life. She's still struggling to define what that is without Jeffery. But that's why I'm hoping. I don't like the idea of her just wasting away alone for the rest of her life.

Angie can go take a flying leap, along with Lena.

Undone, Karin Slaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment